Saturday 21 January 2012

The joy of Duralex

Image via historycompany.com

Here to illustrate Proust's madeleine theory, is a piece about Duralex. One sighting of a stack of Gigogne glasses and I am whisked back to my primary school canteen, circa 1983. If you are reading this and from the UK or France, I am certain you are being whisked back to school right now, too. This also works for their plates. When we were growing up, we always ate from brown Duralex glass plates. I have no idea where they are now, but thankfully they are still alive and well and still being used every mealtime at my inlaws' house. My parents uncovered some mini versions for us on a trip to Budapest a few years back. They get used all the time and I am now intending to source the original larger size so we can recreate those mealtimes in the late 70s/80s. Stackable, stylish, inexpensive and often readily available, they are also very hardwearing. If you treat yourself to one little bit of classic design this year, let it be Duralex.

Image via jazzywholesale.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, I'm Sylvie. Drop me a line at sylvie_docherty@hotmail.com

Creative Commons Licence
Pas Mal by Sylvie Docherty is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at www.pasmalplus.blogspot.com.