Monday 23 September 2013

In Another Country

Image via hancinema.net




Autumn is here and though we in Edinburgh are experiencing what I guess can be termed an Indian summer, it is almost time for us to start hibernating and dip into our stash of films that we have been saving up those chillier days.

In Another Country is my current recommendation for that time. By director Sang-Soo Hong, this minimalist comedy-drama is set in an undisclosed seaside town in South Korea. Slow-moving, cosy, with a quality that leaves you with a sense of detachment throughout (in a nice way), it also stars one of my favourite French actresses who, I feel, never disappoints. The graceful and ageless Isabelle Huppert plays the role of three different French women tourists, all called Anne, who in search of a mini lighthouse. Whilst having been met with mixed reviews, it was tipped for the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival in 2012.

I say no more and let you track it down to make you own mind up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, I'm Sylvie. Drop me a line at sylvie_docherty@hotmail.com

Creative Commons Licence
Pas Mal by Sylvie Docherty is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at www.pasmalplus.blogspot.com.