Thursday 19 April 2012

Musée PAB





Today, I am delighted and slightly ashamed, in equal measure. This afternoon was really lovely and we discovered a gem: the Musée Bibliothèque Pierre André Benoit (PAB), in Alès. This town in the Gard is minutes away from the house that once belonged to my grandparents and I have been coming here all of my life. I had however never been to the musée PAB, until today. This centre for modern and contemporary art is an absolute delight. In the grounds of the museum is a fragrant rose garden, as well as enormous peonies coming into bloom and a range of installations dotted around the place. We were lucky enough to drop by during a great photography exhibition, 'Monstres Sacrès du Cinema', about which a short documentary in French can be seen here. Large black and white photographs by Xavier Lambours of cinema greats throughout the years. The permanent collection is  also terrific and worth a visit alone, with works including those by Braque, Hugo, Picabia, Picasso and my favourites being the land art, with several pieces by Ian Hamilton Findlay and many more. I made several purchases, too, in their well stocked little museum shop. Beautifully produced catalogues and publications and many limited edition pieces are all for sale. There is no website at present, but contact details and current exhibitions can be found online. If you happen to ever pass by Alès, you really should go.

2 comments:

Hello, I'm Sylvie. Drop me a line at sylvie_docherty@hotmail.com

Creative Commons Licence
Pas Mal by Sylvie Docherty is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at www.pasmalplus.blogspot.com.